Do you have stretchmarks? Well you are definitely not alone! They are far more common than you may think. How are they caused? They occur when parts of the body grow faster than the elastic fibers which are under the skin can keep up with. This results in the elastic fibers breaking due to the over expansion which generally leaves behind a red or purple lines across the skin. Over time their color fades into more of a gray/silver color. There are a range of treatments available and we’ll go through them shortly.
Who Is Most At Risk?
Well the fact of the matter is that most of us will get stretchmarks at one time or another throughout our lives however minor they may be. With this being said, they most commonly appear on those going through puberty and pregnant women. They can basically occur on anyone going through rapid weight gain. The most common areas of the body that are affected by stretchmarks are abdomen, breasts, lower back, thighs, and upper arms.
In addition to this, your genes may also impact your ability to be susceptible to stretchmarks. Some people are just more likely to get them during times such as pregnancy or puberty for example.
How To Prevent Stretchmarks?
Unfortunately there is no sure fire way to avoid stretchmarks. However, there are some things you can do to minimize your chances of getting them. Firstly, drink lots of water! This is super important to keep your skin hydrated and maintain its elasticity. Water also has loads of other health benefits as an added bonus.
You could also try moisturizers or preventative stretchmarks creams during a time period like pregnancy. Just make sure with your doctor that they are safe to use for your baby. These creams may help in lowering the effects of potential stretchmarks.
I Already Have Stretchmarks, What Should I Do?
Most stretchmarks fade over time but can take years to do so. So you need to be really patient. In most cases though, they don’t disappear completely, they simply fade and become easy to hide. If you are wanting to try stretchmarks treatments, do so in the early stages as the longer you wait the harder it will become to heal them.
The biggest problem with treating them however is that everyone is different and so are their marks. This means that stretchmarks treatments that work for some may not work for others.
Here are some stretchmarks treatments that you can try today. Apply 1-2 times daily or as needed.
- TriLASTIN – SR – This is our top pick for cures for stretch marks. Works well on new or old marks, works in as little as 14 days, and they offer a 90 day money back guarantee.
- Setavan – Our second best pick for stretchmarks treatments. Setavan also can work in as little as 14 days and also has a 90 day guarantee.
- Healing Natural Oils – H-Stretch Marks Formula – Another great treatment. Works in 6-8 weeks however, it claims to be safe to use during pregnancy. I would suggest double checking with your doctor though.
- Potatoes Juice – Can be used for several things which include sun burn and stretch marks. Potato juice can help restore your skin cells.
- Cocoa Butter – This is actually an awesome natural moisturizer.
- Lavender, Chamomile Oil, and chopped Almonds – Mix these together and apply directly to your marks.
- Aloe Vera – This stuff has loads of soothing and healing properties. However, ensure you purchase Aloe Vera without alcohol in it as alcohol will dry out the skin.
- Egg Whites – Sounds strange, however, egg whites are a rich source of protein and can help as a stretchmarks treatment.
- Castor Oil – Great treatment and can even be used for some other skin issues.
- Lemon Juice – This has been known to reduce the appearance of your marks due to its acidity. Sometimes it can even heal them too.
- Alfalfa –Add it along with chamomile oil for a great natural remedy. Alfalfa is rich in vitamin E & K.
- Sugar – Not for consumption, rather use it as an exfoliator for your skin.
In addition to one of these stretchmarks treatments, make sure you are eating whole and real food. None of that packaged food or fast food. Cook your meals from scratch to further improve your stretchmarks treatments. Also, make sure you eating enough healthy proteins. Foods such as dark leafy green, papayas, oranges, kiwi, broccoli, and nuts and seeds and high in vitamin C and E and are rich in mineral content to help tone up your skin.
It’s Ok To Have Stretchmarks
Stretchmarks are far more common than we think. Most people get them at least once during their lives and although there are different techniques to lessen their visibility sometimes they can be almost impossible to remove completely. Especially if they have been around for many years. But know that you are not alone here and that despite your stretchmarks, your body is still beautiful.
If you haven’t already seen it, check out the Instagram account – @LoveYourLines. It beautifully celebrates women’s stretchmarks and makes us all feel a little better about ourselves. Make sure you check it out. Created by two mothers that suffered from these marks which inspired many others to also post photos of themselves which includes their stretchmarks. They get thousands women from all around the world to share their photos. It is very inspiring.